Mobile Marketing Popularity Rapidly Grows

May 17, 2010 8:04 pm Published by

For 2010, Mobile marketing is posed to make great strides in both brand acceptance and consumer interaction.
Unica recently surveyed ad agencies and brands about their current and future use of mobile marketing. They found that 33% of brands currently use mobile tactics to reach/communicate with their consumers. Another 24% said their company plans to use mobile tactics within the next 12 months, and 13% said they will use mobile tactics in more than the next 12 months.
Only 20% said their company has no plans to use mobile marketing tactics, and another 10% don’t know. This means the combined percentage of respondents whose companies definitely or possibly will not use mobile marketing tactics (30%) is smaller than the percentages of respondents who currently use them (33%) or will use them within the next 12 months or longer (a combined 57%).
Broken down by region, more European respondents said their company currently uses mobile marketing tactics (37%) than North American respondents (29%), reflecting Europe’s more advanced and entrenched mobile infrastructure.

More than 100% growth in adoption

Looking at specific mobile marketing channel usage and adoption rates, the use of the three major mobile marketing channels of SMS/MMS/WAP, mobile websites, and mobile applications should all roughly double in the next 12 months.

Mobile Devices Becoming More Popular, More Affordable

The popularity of mobile marketing tactics has been rapidly growing as the popularity of smartphones, 3G devices and other advanced mobile applications surged in the US during 2009, according to comScore mobiLens data.
Between December 2008 and December 2009, the percentage of US mobile phone subscribers with unlimited data plans increased from 16% to 21%. During the same period, smartphone ownership increased from 11% to 17%, while 3G phone ownership increased from 32% to 43% among smartphone users.
The clear take-away here is with an increase of bandwidth and with advanced mobile devices becoming more affordable, the stage is set for brands to begin to experiment, test and deploy mobile efforts in 2010.

Categorised in:

This post was written by Metoo